2.15.2009

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie




My friends Mark and Beth helped to organize a show of sorts last Friday. (photo 1)  I did a performance entitled "The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie".  I have been baking choc chip cookies since I was a little girl.  This past summer the New York Times featured a story about the best chocolate cookie which included a recipe.  Well, I tried it and it was GOOD -  even better than my old recipe.  So, for Friday's show I baked a batch of both cookies, made parchment paper sleeves that contained one of each cookie and set up a voting station. (photo 2)  I gave a short, silly performance explaining the history and asked everyone there to test the cookies themselves and vote for the cookie they liked the best.  As a thank you for helping me, each voter was allowed to take a saying from the Rountree-Couch Dispenser ( part of the "book" from my last post).  The Explainer was there for any splainin' that was needed. (photo 3)  Over 40 votes later, The New York Times cookie was the winner. (photo 4)   The difference: unsalted butter, making the dough 24 -36 hours in advance, bittersweet chips and sprinkling course salt on the cookie just before baking.  

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I couldn't make it to the show. Our computer died and we needed to make an emergency trip to Asheville to replace it. Cookies with salt on them sound divine.

    ReplyDelete